Tuesday, January 22, 2008

Endless Ocean or Dragon Quest Swords? That is the question

I'm quite torn. My budget is by no means flexible enough for me to buy myself whatever I like.

So in said limited budget, I currently desire three games for the Wii - Endless Ocean (January 21), Dragon Quest Swords (February 25), and Super Smash Bros Brawl (December 3 February 10 March 9). Though I only plan on getting two of them on their release date, and one of them is Brawl.

So I thought we'd go through the pros and cons I could come up with via scouring the internet for details of the remaining two to help me figure out what I'm going to buy.






Endless Ocean -
Publisher: Nintendo
Release Date: January 21, 2008
MSRP: $29.99
Genre: Adventure (??)
Rated: E

Pros: A soothing game, full of things to do, without you having to do anything; Online cooperative exploring; Wife may enjoy watching/playing this game; $29.99 price tag

Cons: Perhaps a little too soothing - may not keep me entertained as much as the other two games; underwater games/levels make me tired quickly (especially swimming in any Legend of Zelda game...); novelty may wear off too quickly.






Dragon Quest Swords: The Masked Queen and the Tower of Mirrors
Publisher: Square Enix
Release Date: February 25, 2008
MSRP: $49.99
Genre: First Person Rail Shooter
Rated: T

Pros: It's freaking Dragon Quest on the Wii; use Wii Remote as sword and shield to defeat classic DQ monsters; Akira Toriyama design...; it's a 3rd party game to which I need to show my support to.

Cons: $49.99 price tag; may get redundant being on the 'rail' all the time; wife may not enjoy watching this game and most likely will not play it.

I definitely want both of these games, but after thinking it over, I'm probably going to purchase Dragon Quest Swords. Sometime down the road I will most likely pick up Endless Ocean, probably used on eBay.

Supporting the 3rd party developers, especially Squenix, is pretty important to me, as I rambled about yesterday.

Dragon Quest Swords was the fastest selling game for the seventh generation home consoles in Japan to date, and is also the best selling 3rd party game of said generation. I doubt it will have the same impact here in the States, but I at least have to show my support by getting it at its launch.

-Zon

2 comments:

snowkissed said...

Does your wife watch you play whenever you play? Does she play?

Zon said...

She enjoys watching me play most games. She dislikes strategy games, and most RPGs, but LOVES games like Mario Galaxy, Zelda (Ocarina, Twilight Princess), and Zack Wiki.

She mostly plays her DS (Animal Crossing, Trace Memory, Zoo Keeper), but occasionally plays Wii Sports/Wii Play, and is usually my Star Bit collector in Mario Galaxy.